Pearl Harbor [60th Anniversary Commemorative Edition] [2 Discs]
At the time of its release, this lavish period war drama from hyperkinetic director Michael Bay became the most expensive motion picture ever green-lighted by a studio. Ben Affleck stars as Rafe McCawley, a military pilot stationed under Jimmy Doolittle (Alec Baldwin) in New Jersey, along with his best friend from childhood, Danny Walker (Josh Hartnett). Rafe is chomping at the bit to get involved in World War II, but America has not entered the conflict, so he is forced to fight on loan to the Royal Air Force in Britain, leaving behind his beautiful girlfriend Evelyn (Kate Beckinsale). After Rafe goes overseas, both Danny and Evelyn are transferred to the naval base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, where word arrives that Rafe has been killed in action. A grief-stricken Evelyn and Danny become romantically attached, a situation that becomes a lit powder keg when Rafe suddenly reappears, having survived his ordeal in the European war. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor puts the romantic triangle on hold, as the best friends are ordered to undertake a top-secret and highly dangerous retaliatory mission to bomb Tokyo, once again under the command of Doolittle. Although the trio of leads are entirely fictional, Cuba Gooding Jr., Tom Sizemore, and Jon Voight (as FDR) co-star in the roles of real-life historical figures. Pearl Harbor is based on a script by Randall Wallace, writer of Braveheart (1995) and The Man in the Iron Mask (1998). Taking a page from the production history of James Cameron's Titanic (1997), many of the actors and filmmakers involved with Pearl Harbor deferred their usual salaries until the film "broke even" at the box office. ~ Karl Williams, Rovi
Walt Disney Video
PG13 -- Parents strongly cautioned
3 hours, 3 minutes
- Digital Theater Systems (akin to 5.1)
- 5 full-range channels. Includes 3 for the front speakers, 2 surround channels for rear speakers, & 1 low-frequency effects (LFE) channel to carry deep bass effects
- THX-Certified Mastering
- USA & territories, Canada
- "Journey to the Screen: The Making of Pearl Harbor"
- The History Channel documentary "Unsung Heroes"
- DVD-ROM feature "Definitive Bibliography"
- Faith Hill music video "There You'll Be"
- Dolby headphone soundtrack
- DTS 5.1 Digital Surround Sound
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
- THX-certified -- Includes THX Optimizer
- Widescreen (2.35:1) enhanced for 16x9 televisions
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound French-language track
- Spanish subtitles
Number of Discs